Treatments for Termites
What’s involved in effective treatment for your home:
- Because every home is different, treating your home with 100% effective Termidor® termiticide/insecticide depends on its age, configuration, and construction.
- Our certified pest management professional will first talk to you about your home, and ask about any changes, improvements or additions that you have made to your property, inside as well as out. They’ll also ask about leaks, damage or other situations, which may affect vulnerability to a termite infestation.
- Next, they’ll conduct a thorough examination of your property (it’s important you give your permission to thoroughly inspect your property since termites only need a crack the thickness of a sheet of paper to get through).
The inspection will take place in five main areas:
- The exterior, the interior, the attic, below-ground areas like basement or crawl spaces, and the outlying storage and garage areas.
- Once the termites have been located and the extent of their activity is determined, the question of why they are present here will be addressed.
- Of ten, moisture plays a big part. if a water or plumbing leak is discovered – or if bad ventilation, faulty grading or other problems are suspected – your pest management professional will recommend steps to correct them.
- Once the inspection is complete, the Termidor application program will begin. Below are typical application procedures completed during a termiticide application. Consult with your Termidor certified pest management professional about the specific application procedures for your home.
Termidor is a liquid, applied with water, and the most effective way of spreading it is through small trenches, dug along the foundation line of your home. Any voids that have been discovered during the inspection are also treated, along with cracks and expansion joints in concrete, partition walls, utility pipe entrances and exterior wood features like flower boxes.
The entire Termidor application program is typically completed in a day or less. But since there’s no drying’ time and no odor, you’ll likely notice no immediate difference.
Within about 3 months, however, your entire treated area will be 100% termite-free. And with Termidor, it’ll stay that way for many years to come.
What is the Sentricon* System?
The Only Termite Protection Your House Will Ever Need™
The Sentricon* Termite Colony Elimination System establishes a new standard for protecting property from subterranean termites. It’s an innovative baiting system that acts like a security system, providing continuous defense. After eliminating attacking colonies, the Sentricon* System guards structures by monitoring for future invasions. As a long-term solution that’s easy on the environment†, the Sentricon* System is the only subterranean termite protection your house will ever need.
Property Protection: A Three-step Process
The Sentricon* System provides property protection through a three-step process: detection of termites, elimination of termite colonies and preventive protection against reinfestation by regular monitoring for new termite activity. A highly trained and specially authorized pest management professional called an Authorized Operator installs inconspicuous Sentricon* stations in the soil around the perimeter of your structure. Wood-based monitoring devices are included in the station at the time of installation, and these devices are routinely examined by your Authorized Operator for signs of termite infestation. When the monitoring devices show significant termite activity, they are replaced with a Baitube™ device containing Recruit™ II termite bait.
The Active Ingredient, Hexaflumuron
Subterranean termites are social insects, so all individuals within the colony depend on one another for survival. The Sentricon* System targets a colony by using a unique active ingredient, hexaflumuron, in Recruit II termite bait that is spread throughout the colony’s foraging population before termites can notice its effects on their nestmates. The Sentricon* System delivers the active ingredient by taking advantage of the foraging and feeding behavior of subterranean termite workers that are responsible for sustaining the colony. Hexaflumuron affects termites by stopping the molting process required by termites to grow. As the worker termites die off, the termite colony declines to the point where it can no longer sustain itself, ultimately leading to its collapse and elimination.
Extensive field tests have been completed on infested structures by the United States Department of Agriculture – Forest Service (USDA-FS) and by researchers at major universities. More than 30 scientific papers have been published on the Sentricon* System and its components. The conclusion of this research is that the Sentricon* System has successfully eliminated colonies of all economically important subterranean termite species in the continental United States and Hawaii in a wide variety of environments. With the Sentricon* System, you can stop the destruction, or prevent it from ever happening.
To learn more, review additional research demonstrating the effectiveness of the Sentricon* System and its components.
Residential and Commercial Use
More than six years in the marketplace and hundreds of thousands of properties protected demonstrate its success in the “real world.”
Product Label and Safety Information
For information about product labels and safety, please visit the Product Label and MSDS section.
The Sentricon* System is sold through and serviced by highly trained Authorized Operators. To find an Authorized Operator in your area, visit the locator at the top of this page.
†Awarded the 2000 Presidential Green Chemistry Challenge Award * Trademark of Dow AgroSciences LLS